Sorghum and finger millet have been essential staple foods in the semi-arid tropics of Africa for centuries. In eastern Africa, they form an important part of diets of people in Ethiopia, southern Sudan, northern Kenya and Uganda. Read more
The Project goal
This project strives to generate value added technologies for sorghum and finger millet and diffuse these innovations and products to the market place through commercialization in partnership with the private sector.
Developing sorghum-based health/snack bar, instant sorghum porridge mixes and malt beverages, which are excellent source of nutrition. These product concepts are compelling, providing indigenous versions of popular products and safe urban versions of rural favorites.
Milestones achieved & expected outcomes
- Three candidate product formulations for non-alcoholic clear malt drink, instant sorghum flour, and sorghum-based snack bar developed and ready for test marketing.
- The prototypes will undergo market testing to determine consumer perception, price sensitivity, product packaging, as well as an insight into branding and product positioning.
- The identification of and initiation of dialogue with potential private sector partners in all partner countries for product commercialization and technology uptake is underway.
Participating countries, institutions and organizations
- Makerere University, Uganda
- Sokoine University of Agricultural Sciences, Tanzania
- Hawassa University, Ethiopia